Tuesday 1 July 2008

Discovering the world: sand and sea


While in Odessa The Little Girl got to experience walking and playing in the sand for the first time. At first she totally didn’t like the feel of the sand and tried really hard to avoid standing on it. Every time I would try to put her down she would cling to me with all her strength and lift her legs up as high as she could. However, when I put her down on our beach blanket she was happy to grab handfuls of sand, let it go and see the grains fall down. Soon the blanket was covered with the sand and the Little Girl finally braved walking on it to try to get to someone’s beach ball (she loves playing with the balls at the moment). Later Clive and she built a sandcastle and she was perfectly happy to crawl all over it.

She was slightly unsure about the sea water at first as well, but warmed up to it very quickly (I wish the water would warm up to us as it was very cold). She enjoyed walking in and out of the water, looking at the tiny waves, searching for the wet stones (collecting stones is another recent love) and even managed to fall face down into the water ones. Somehow I find it sad that she didn’t get to walk or play in the sand earlier. I noticed that all the kids playgrounds I saw in Russia had sandy surface unlike the asphalt one of England – the sand probably has it’s on downsides, but I think I would prefer it to the hard grey asphalt.


The photo above was taken by my husband using his "new" (at least to him) Mamiya camera.

4 comments:

the dragonfly said...

Oh, I can't wait to take the Little Mister to the beach!! Although, with his dislike of grass he might not like sand yet either. Oh well, I'm sure he'll get used to it! He loves water, so I'm sure he'd have a great time.

Lovely photos!!

Jack... said...

Awesome photo Clive - where can we see more? *waves*

Yeah So said...

I LOVE the second picture - you should frame that one! What an impish smile on her face.

Seamonkey is still fascinated by sand evey time we go to the beach, which is really quite often.

Rachael said...

Love the picture of the two of you. Definitely frame-worthy!