Sunday 20 July 2008

Flight

Most gulls don’t bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight – how to get from shore to food and back again. For most, gulls it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight.
Richard Bach “Jonathan Livingston Seagull: A Story”
--
“Jonathan Livingston Seagull: A Story” is full of beautiful passages that I want to quote and joined my list of inspiring and re-readable books along with Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet", Antoine De Saint-Exupery's "The Little Prince", Albert Camus "The Plague" and Mikhail Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita". I haven't re-read "The Master and Margarita" for about four years, so it's time to pick it up from a bookshelf again - at every re-reading I discover something new in it.


I created this image after reading The Expansion of the Square tutorial and am itching to make more and to try out improved composition ideas once I get some dark-coloured paper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hubby says: Very cool! You even used JL Seagull book colours! Has a slightly art deco feel about it - the kinda thing that would be imprinted on the door of 1930's ocean liner or sumfing..

driftwood said...

I read JL seagull years ago, I'd forgotten all about it, may have to read it again. love your image!

Ruth's Place said...

That is very, very cool!!

Yeah So said...

Your blog is such a great inspiration. I want to make one of those squares now - I'll probably sketch something out ont he train tomorrow morning. Simple in concept but very very cool!