Saturday 10 February 2007

Trip to Stonehenge

We rented a car to take Anya to Stonehenge, since it was one of the places she dreamt of visiting. It took us awhile to figure out how to work the baby car seat (the instructions found on the web helped as the woman in the car-rental place had no clue as well). Catherine wasn’t impressed with being woken up and put into weird car seat. Thankfully she stopped crying once we were on the move, but sulked for another 20 minutes before falling asleep. I followed her example and slept most of the way.


Cat wasn’t greatly impressed by the big old stones, but I think she liked looking at the sheep and the grass. Sadly she started crying every time I stopped for the photo. Sometimes I feel like a horse, who isn’t allowed any rest and has to keep on moving ;-). BTW Stonehenge site has baby changing facilities in the disabled toilet even though they are missing from the facilities list on English Heritage website.

We drove to Old Sarum; but since it was raining, Cat was peacefully asleep and I’ve been there before I stayed in the car with her. Anya and Clive braved the mud and the rain to explore the ruins.

Again Cat and I slept on the way back.

I have great respect for all parents, who manage to travel extensively with their young children. It does require additional planning, extra preparation and mental strength. This was our first long trip away from home (well, long in this case means further than 30 minutes walk from home). I find it very difficult to stay calm when Cat starts crying in public. Panic is my first instinct reaction to the perception that everyone is staring and judging. It helps a lot to have supportive family members nearby. So I think for the next few weeks I’ll stick to staying close to home when I’m on my own and will practice longer outings on weekends with Clive. Anyone knows of any baby friendly places I should try? And my dear London friends, please keep an eye out for restaurants, cafes and pubs that have baby changing facilities.

No comments: