Wednesday 21 February 2007

Profiling

Clive and I started ordering some of our groceries online from Sainsbury’s. One of their features, which I liked and found useful, is list of usually bought items. At first it contained only the things we bought online, therefore the re-ordering was easy and fast. But using our credit card or Nectar card they cross-referenced our shop purchases and so the list now contains almost everything we ever bought in store or online. I found it mildly disturbing that Sainsbury’s stores our purchase information. Makes one wonder how much information about us is stored (or can be deducted from stored info) in different organisations. Creepy! (I would write more thoughts on the matter, but my tired underslept brain is refusing to form them into words. After working in Search Engine Marketing for 2 years I probably shouldn’t find it creepy.)

Amusingly New Covent Garden soup somehow ended up under Newsagents section.

Catherine had her first tube (London underground) experience today, but sadly she slept through all of it. I went Westminster Register office to get her full birth certificate. Now that we have a decent photo of her and a birth certificate, we can start applying for passports – UK one first, followed by Australian one. These two should be pretty straightforward. I still need to figure out the procedure for getting South African and Russian ones. I’m dreading Russian bureaucracy and debating if she actually needs (or will want to have) Russian passport. Though it only took me 1 week to get mine – I’m still not sure if I was extremely lucky or if my dread of Russian officials is totally unfounded.

1 comment:

Polina said...

The Russian Consulate in Sydney is actually quite good and I found them very reasonable, provided you could get through to them on the phone... but as far as bureaucracy is concerned they didn't ask for any weird/unnecessary papers.