Tuesday 28 October 2008

Comfortable challenges

A challenge is something that will stretch your powers, with the likelihood of confirming them; you want to take on a challenge because you have confidence enough that you can succeed. A threat is a task that seems beyond your powers to accomplish or cope with.
John Holt How Children Learn

--
Recently I stopped by a Julie's Pictures blog, who sets herself yearly challenges. Her first one was to walk for at least one mile from home everyday and record what she saw. Her friend, Fiona, just started a challenge to stitch a small picture everyday – they are so simple, yet interesting and visually pleasing.

I admire and respect their dedication, but recently I came to realise that for now I’m unable to commit myself to one year long daily challenges. I set myself simpler goals, like trying to make Russian pirozhki following these two Russian recipes: with apples and meat.
Pirozhki
Recently I also joined Everyday Matters group, which has weekly drawing challenges. There is a list of 193 previous ones and so I’m trying to complete one old one alongside each new one. Here is the watercolour painting of autumn leaves for the challenge number 34.
The autumn leaves (watercolour)

8 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, the pirozhki look SO good! I want to try the apple ones -- I still have leftover apples from picking. But, alas, the instructions are in Russian. I don't think Katya's translation skills are up to the task -- I certainly wouldn't trust them for a recipe (wouldn't you love to taste that!) But, her teacher is coming over on Weds. -- maybe I can have them translate the recipe together for their lesson. Great idea, huh?! Thanks!

Polina said...

пирожки look very delicious!

Tina in CT said...

They look so yummy!

Your leaf artwork is gorgeous. You are very talented.

Ruth's Place said...

The pirozhki look great. I've had Russian students make them for me a few times and I'm a big fan.

Your watercolours are stunning.

the dragonfly said...

I'm working on two very large (and somewhat difficult) cross stitch projects right now. One of them is nearly done!

The watercolor leaves are beautiful. I love autumn!

Annie said...

The idea of a yearly challenge is just wonderful. I wish I could manage such a thing. (Maybe a blog post a day?) I don't know. Interesting idea.

I don't know why this makes me think of a question I was asked once, which was to look back over the past year and say what I felt most satisfaction about. It gave me a shock to realized that despite all the "big" things I'd done at work, my satisfaction came from the things I'd embroidered.

Annie said...

That was very generous of you to leave such a sweet comment on my blog regarding my drawing. YOU are truely an artist.

junglemama said...

How pretty the leaves are! The piroski look good.