Monday 20 October 2008

to New York

My dear husband is going to New York for work (28 Oct - 5 Nov) and we are going with him. At first I was just glad that we’ll have a chance to spend some time together, though he may have to work on weekend, and I won’t have to do any housework for a week. I’ve been to New York before, but I mostly remember feeling constantly cold, as it was windy and wet and I didn’t have appropriate clothes. So we spent past weekend looking for some warmer clothes and shoes for our trip.

And now that I’m not worried about being cold and after looking at all the wonderful places we can explore I feel really excited: Museum of Arts & Design, Central Park Zoo, the Met, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim Museum. And we’ll be in US for Halloween (isn’t it the coolest holiday?), so maybe we’ll go to the Halloween Celebration at the American Museum of Natural History. Looking at their website I’m starting to suspect that we can just spend the whole week there and I know that the Little Girl will enjoy looking at the butterflies more than paintings, so I may have to narrow down the things I want to see. Anyone has any advice on what shouldn’t be missed? Any suggestions for child friendly restaurants and places we should try? Actually every time I go to America I end up overdosing on sugar or salt (or both), because I can’t resist trying things I heard about, like Cheerios, Wendy’s, and all sorts of donuts and bagels; so maybe I should be asking for healthy food suggestions.

Since it’s gloomy and cold outside here as well, we went to our Natural History Museum. I think she was highly impressed by the giant animatronic model of T. Rex, but everything else wasn't very interesting. New York museum sounds like more fun, since it has some live exhibits.
Inside Natural History Museum, London
(She just wouldn't stay still, so this is the least blurry photo I have)

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Maybe it was just time of year. I always picture London as colder and wetter than New York!

Hope you have nice weather. You just never know about fall. It could go either way.

Wish you were coming to Chicago instead, but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Are you making Cat a costume for Halloween?

Ruth's Place said...

Have a great trip! My husband is heading to Chicago/Toronto for roughly the same dates, but I have to stay home...

Tina in CT said...

Since you have a little girl, you need to go to American Girl Place. It's right across from Rockefeller Plaza and on the corner with red awnings. Check out their website.

Another thing, have real American cheesecake at Sardi's (theater district).

It could be warm (Indian Summer) or bitter cold. I'd bring a jacket with a sweater to wear under it if needed. Also comfortable walking shoes (sneakers). Bring a hat and pair of mittens (just to be prepared).

Polina said...

wow! sounds wonderful. I really liked New York, wish I could go back, too :) Have a great time!!!

Anonymous said...

I, personally, think you should bring Cat trick-or-treating out in good ol' American Suburbia :)

I am only a 45 minute train-ride away from the city - and you can walk to my house from the train.

I think it would be an unforgettable experience for all!! We can get Cat a cute costume and she can get lots of candy!!

What do you think? I can even pick you up in NYC and you can have a nice car ride during Autumn - the leaves are beautiful!!