Wednesday 15 October 2008

Enjoying London

Last two weeks our Gymboree class was extremely crowded; today I didn’t feel up-to spending my morning in the small room packed full with loud, energetic kids and since we’ve been listening to the first 5-10 minutes of the Paddington Bear narrated by Stephen Fry I took Cat to the Paddington station instead to look at the stature of Paddington Bear, .

Cat loves trains at the moment and was highly impressed with the big loudly humming ones there. Afterwards we walked to the Kensington Gardens to look at the birds and the fountains, chase the squirrels and observe the slow fall of leaves. And we got to see few tractors pulling the wagons with collected leaves. Cat loves them almost as much as trains and even started saying tractor/трактор few days ago.

I’m reading John Holt’s How Children Learn and am surprised by how much I’m learning from this book as a parent. For example instead of seeing dangers everywhere, I am able to relax more and trust Catherine to know her own limits. Today instead of grabbing her to prevent the potential fall into the fountain, I peacefully watched as she first sat on the edge and later leaned in to take a closer look at the water. Free from worrying thoughts I was able to see perfectly well that she wasn’t in any danger. Being a relaxed parent is more fun than constantly worrying one - I'm glad we stopped watching news in the morning as they constantly have conflicting segments on dangers surrounding kids, negative effects of overprotection and various debates on parents failing to do the right thing, whatever it deemed to be on that day.

3 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I want to go to the train station and see Paddington. So adorable.

Penelope said...

Thanks for that one!
Will try order the John Holt book.
Tallulah has been asking why she HAS to go to class1 next year and so all my own predjudices agaainst school are resurfacing. Am reviewing my notes on home... not schooling really as much as just living and learning as you go.
Ho hum... the sins of the mother?

June said...

I'm so glad you are reading John Holt. I always felt he made a LOT of sense. I think you have taken the right lesson, a sort of relaxed awareness. My children are now 53,50,41 and 39. They turned out great! And Johh Holt and that whole generation of teachers were great inspirations. Have fun in New York! June