Friday 7 November 2008

Back from New York

Katya and I came back from New York yesterday. The poor thing didn't handle the flight very well this time. I'm always impressed by people, who travel extensively with small children. However, I'm starting to accept that traveling far away with a toddler isn't for me. I would rather find interesting things to do close to home while keeping our routine intact, avoiding having to search for the food she would eat and having to discover the new tricks to get her to sleep while she is overexcited about new surroundings.

I'll post about all the things we enjoyed in New York once my husband comes back with my camera. He had to stay behind for few more days and I left my camera with him as I wanted to have as few items of luggage as possible and it wouldn't fit into my backpack. (Should I buy a bigger backpack, smaller camera case or both?).

Today the fire alarm system went off in our building during Katya's nap. There wasn't any smoke, but I didn't want to take a chance and decided to get us outside. Despite the loud noise right next to her bedroom, she was still sleeping, but talking in her sleep saying "Папа там" (papa is there), which just proves how much we miss him. The fire alarm was due to the system malfunctioning, but it took fire brigade almost an hour to get it to behave again.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Ah, welcome home! We are online simultaneously, it seems. I JUST emailed you to ask if you had returned! :)

Tina in CT said...

Welcome home. My daughter flies back and forth from Moscow alone with the girls. She could write a book about their "travels".

What a welcome back home to the fire alarm's going off.

I'll look forward to your post about the Big Apple.

the dragonfly said...

Welcome home. The Little Mister and I are taking a trip to the States in a couple months and I am NOT looking forward to the flights...but we'll survive. It'll be nice when we're in the same country as the grandparents so we can just drive!

Annie said...

Oh, you make me feel so much better! A few years ago we were at a dance competition in Ohio and the fire alarm went off... Well, earlier I'd heard kids running through the halls, and I just always feel that "nothing bad is going to happen" so after checking out the halls, looking out the windows and listening a bit....I decided to just sit tight and wait for further developments. Meanwhile several friends and their children were out on the street in their nightclothes. They were really on my case the next day for not vacating the building.

driftwood said...

gld you're home safe, travelling with little ones, is hard, but it does get easier. xx