Wednesday 13 February 2008

Knitting progress

After few demonstrations from my mother and aimed with Debbie Bliss How to Knit book, I practiced knitting and purling.

Soon simple practice became boring and I tried to decide on a knitting project: I didn’t want to make yet another scarf (even though I have perfect yarn for one), wasn’t sure about the practicality of knitting a woollen pillowcase, toyed with the idea of knitting Cat a jumper or a blanket, looked at many fantastic patterns that are beyond my skill level and eventually ended up at Knitty. Mmm Knitty – so much loveliness. Since I wanted to do something super-easy I decided to knit a flower and ended up having to brave figuring out how to use four double-pointed needles. Now I know that there is a very good reason why beginners aren’t usually taught to knit in the round. I cursed my choice, was convinced that I need few more hands and contemplated how much more suitable crochet is for making flowers.
But I liked the look and feel of the final product and got one step closer to being able to knit socks and hats (though I’m still not convinced that someone who knows how to crochet should be making knitted flowers.)

And after having a break from knitting in a round I finally figured out what my first real knitting project should be. Here is a glimpse of work in progress.
P.S. Sorry about the horrid colours

2 comments:

Yeah So said...

I am amazed at how well you did just picking up needles and giving it a whirl. It took me forever to figure out how to knit. And I crochet much better than I knit, so I think you are okay making the flowers.

Zoya said...

I think having someone to demonstrate really helps as I got a bit confused looking at the diagrams and reading instructions in the books.
I’m glad to hear that there is someone else who is better at crocheting than knitting. Most of the time it feels like the world is made up of knitters.