Sunday 10 August 2008

Studio Journal

We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!
Richard Bach “Jonathan Livingston Seagull: A Story”


--
This is the quote I'm going to put on the first page of my new studio journal tomorrow. I used to struggle trying to keep various journals, diaries, notebooks with quotes and sketchbooks until I took Sharon B’s online Studio Journal course. Throughout six lessons with the aid of design exercises she tried to get us into a habit of consistently using our studio journals. I loved learning new to me design tricks and now can see them used everywhere from packaging to the modern paintings. The other beauty of taking the course was a very active and inspirational forum where students shared tips, images of their work and the links to the relevant articles or websites.

However, the main lesson for me was the freedom of putting everything into ONE studio journal. And after six weeks I have one complete journal full of photos, images, quotes, my own writing, samples of thread, drawings and design ideas. And looking through it results in new ideas. For example after reading Shirley Trevena's Taking Risks with Watercolour I realised that for years I only tried to paint separate objects (mostly fruits and vegetables) instead of attempting to create a whole painting. And while thinking of subject to paint I remembered the photo taken in the park (and added to my journal).

And used it to paint an autumn leaf fall. This simple painting is far from perfect and I can point out many mistakes to you, but it is the first complete painting I’ve done since childhood and I felt fantastic doing it.

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

What a beautiful painting of your daughter. You are a telented mom.

Rachael said...

Good job on the painting. You SHOULD be pleased with yourself!