Wednesday 13 August 2008

Start of a new wardrobe

No, not for me, but for Cat's doll. First I crocheted a hat in under two hours.

Then it took forever to make a simple dress out of my husband's old work shirt and a scrap of fabric from Polina, because I did it by hand as I don't own a sewing machine.

I was dreaming of "borrowing" my sister's sewing machine on arrival to Australia, but since we are staying in UK for longer I'm wondering if I should buy one. I have a long list of things I'd love to sew, like this Simple Kimono Wrap. Does anyone have any advice on buying a sewing machine for a total beginner? Anyone knows where one can buy/look at sewing machines in London?

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Make sure the machine has reverse and stitching for knits and elastic. You just need a basic machine. You might want one with an automatic buttonhole maker.

Tina in CT said...

You did an excellent job - and by hand.

Rachael said...

I have a Brother CS-6000i. It's a very inexpensive, easy to use machine. When I first bought it, my mom (who is an excellent seamstress and swears by her expensive Bernina) thought I should return it, that it might not be reliable/good enough. But, I've been very happy with it and find it very user friendly and I very much consider myself a beginner seamstress, though I'm learning more all the time. I definitely think with your creative streak you'd get your money's worth if you bought a sewing maching!

Love the little hat too!

the dragonfly said...

Awww...so cute!!

I'm no help with a sewing machine. Mine baffles me. :)

Anonymous said...

Very impressive effort! Forgot to give you fabric in Tue but definitely will contribute next time :-)

Anonymous said...

Well done!

For a machine, look for the best you can afford....you don't want something so troublesome it turns you off from sewing. But you also don't need anything "fancy". Skip computerized models and fancy stitches. The basic important things are: ease of threading, drop-in bobbin, buttonhole. A lot of the great companies make inexpensive entry models....good luck!

Zoya said...

Everyone, thanks for advise.