Sunday 1 June 2008

Quotes, talking and our trip

I showed my masterpiece to the grown-ups, and asked them whether the drawing frightened them.
But they answered: "Frighten? Why should any one be frightened by a hat?"

My drawing was not a picture of a hat. It was a picture of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery "The Little Prince"

--
Polina, Driftwood and Katy, thank you for providing other suggestions for what this drawing could be. I'm looking forward to the day when The Little Girl will be able to tell me herself what she is drawing, feeling and thinking. Though she may choose to keep the explanations to herself believing that:

Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery "The Little Prince"


There isn't very much progress with talking, though recently The Little Girl started answering my questions with very loud and clear Да (Yes) and on Friday she said Baby in very happy sing-song voice, so throughout our car trip to Stratford-upon-Avon she and I would burst into chanting Baby-Baby to the amusement of everyone else. We also enjoyed eating delicious food at the King's Arms in Mickleton; looking at (and smelling) the myriad beautiful flowers; and exploring Warwick castle, cute Cotswolds villages and old houses.

Photo of Anne Hathaway's Cottage

However the biggest highlight of our trip for me was the visit to the Mary Arden's Farm (childhood home of Shakespeare's mother ). The guides there are dressed in the replica Tudor clothing and are happy to chat about the daily farm activities they perform in the same way as was done in the 16th Century. I found them very knowledgeable, friendly, enthusiastic and interesting. And there were various farm animals to keep The Little Girl entertained - she loved patting and feeding the sheep and chasing after the chickens.
Few more photos are on Flickr

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Oh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the second Little Prince quote. I'm going to have to snag that for my rotating quotes widget (once I get it going...perhaps that'll be my next project.)

The cottage picture is so charming. I'd LOVE to visit your way.