Tuesday 3 June 2008

Japan: food

While in Japan The Little Girl didn’t eat much and I’m still not sure if it was due to teething, change of schedule or unfamiliarity of food. Not knowing any Japanese Clive and I were few times surprised by our food being totally different from what we imagined it to be: sweets turned out to be salty crackers; plain bread rolls full of custard filling; etc. Nearly every morning we couldn’t resist getting some pastries from Denmark Bakery and while I love Asian interpretation of European pastries sometimes we couldn’t figure out the ingredients at all, which slightly freaked Clive out, as he prefers to know what he is eating. One of my best pastry finds came at the end of our trip in the airport – green tea and white chocolate chip bagels – not surprisingly as my favourite flavour of ice-cream is green tea and trying out different types of green tea flavoured food was high on my agenda.

I also got to introduce Clive to gyoza and ate lots of sushi myself. Most of my sushi came from the supermarket as both the little girl and I were too tired by the end of the day to try to struggle through the late dinner with the rest of the family – thankfully Japanese supermarkets have great selection of sushi. On the other hand Clive got to experience a wider range of restaurants including Italian one, Italian cuisine seem to be very popular in Japan, and a proper Japanese banquet of about 12 mostly seafood courses organized by Aki’s parents in honour of the bride and groom.


Our breakfast at the hotel consisted of miso soup, rice and picked vegetables. Cat decided to use chopsticks like everyone else, despite being given a spoon by friendly staff, and she loved mixing the soup, attempting to pick up rice and generally waving them around, while the rest of us tried very hard to protect our eyes from her enthusiastic wielding of chopsticks.

No comments: