Wednesday 23 April 2008

The beaded bead

While looking for something else I stumbled on “Three-dimensional finite point groups and the symmetry of beaded beads” article (pdf) that was written for Journal of Mathematics and the Arts. Isn’t that the best combination possible? I wish I could get some copies, but it looks like it is only available by subscription.

However I got out my copy of Carol Wilcox Wells' The Art & Elegance of Beadweaving book and made a simple beaded spoke bead.
I used some left-over bead from a different project and ended up with too many shades of green. Also the colour of some lighter beads changed due to the dark green thread used - another valuable lesson learned. However now that I know how to make these beads I will try out few different colour combinations that hopefully will look more harmonious.

If you want to see some exquisite beads, head to Bead Infinitum site.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow, I think it looks really cool. What will become of it? A necklace?

Unknown said...

I think it looks great, you are too critical!!! And green is my favourite colour too, so that makes it extra beautiful!

naree said...

that mathematics paper is really exciting. I want to make the pyritohedra symmetry group Th!

tess said...

I'm glad it's not just me that finds herself combining maths and crafting. your bead is gorgeous

Yeah So said...

very pretty!