Friday 5 January 2007

Thrush?

Cat developed a white spot on her bottom lip, which from my limited baby experience looks like thrush. So I took her to the doctors. It is almost impossible to get appointment with our GP (last time I had to book one week in advance), but the great thing about mentioning any problems with tiny babies is that the receptionist tells you to come as soon as possible for the emergency appointment. And therefore I saw a different doctor and not our wonderful, super-helpful and sweet Spanish lady, who I totally adore. Liking a doctor is very rare for me as after few crap experiences of Russian hospitals and doctors during my childhood; I have subconscious dislike and distrust of all things medical – doctors, hospitals, clinics, etc (the fact that London hospital had to take my blood THREE times after Catherine birth, because they lost first 2 samples, also didn’t help to improve my opinion of public health system). Anyway the doctor wasn’t 100% sure that it is thrush, because according to him it is very rare to get thrush spots only on the lip and have none on the tongue. But he prescribed anti-thrush medicine anyway just in case. I also used this chance to mention horribly dry skin on my hands and he was sweet enough to prescribe some hand cream.

The pharmacist suggested that I should get maternity exemption certificate so I don’t have to pay for prescription medicine and promptly gave me everything (medicine & cream) for free even though I don’t have the certificate. I always seem to have good experiences with pharmacists unlike doctors.

No comments: