Friday 5 January 2007

New Year Resolutions

Last year I wrote a very long personal growth plan for 2006 instead of the usual short list of the New Year resolutions. Today I re-read it. It’s interesting to see how things changed and became clearer thanks to pregnancy and the birth of my wonderful daughter; but how many thoughts, feelings and decision from last year are still very valid. So here is the updated version for 2007:

Friendships
This blog hopefully helps my far-away Australian friends to know what is happening in my life, but the flow of information is very one-sided and I need to get better at keeping in touch via email and phone to be up-to-date on their lives. And I should send out real paper Christmas cards this year!

I need to work on expanding my circle to include people with children, as it will get very lonely being on my own with a small child during work hours.

I also should try to organise more group events/parties, because I love seeing people having fun and integrating together/interacting with each other. It would be lovely to manage to mix my Australian circle with Clive’s South African one.

My new family
I will treasure my closest people, Clive and Catherine, and remember to show my love for them even when I’m busy or feeling tired. I will try to be honest and open about my feelings, wants and beliefs (especially when I’m annoyed and want to sulk instead of resolving any issues we may have).

Personal improvements
I will strive to cultivate positive attitude about myself and notice the magic of every day. I’ll practice listening to what people saying without trying to project my own personal experiences and beliefs on their stories. I’ll judge myself based on my own goals and values, instead of other people's values or by comparing myself to others.

Volunteer work
Last year Clive wanted to raise some money to buy pencils, exercise books, etc for underprivileged South African schools. Due to my pregnancy and his house renovations our enthusiasm fizzled out, but I think we should revive this project. Anyone has any funky fundraising ideas?

Miscellaneous
I should finish reading through OpenLearn’s Play, Learning and the Brain course and maybe do some courses from The Open University.

I’ll do at least one Ramblers’ Families Group walks

I’ll try to use any free time I have efficiently by having a list of things to do and avoiding procrastination (otherwise I won’t be able to get anything done beyond taking care of Catherine and housework).

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Hello there! Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. It sounds like your baby is still brand new - hang in there, it gets easier every day! (I love her name, btw). :)

Catherine