Thursday 21 December 2006

Travel & Homesickness

I finally watched The Cave Of The Yellow Dog after missing it in the cinemas. I didn’t enjoy it as much as The Story of the Weeping Camel, but it is still a very lovely film and it was fantastic to see a bit more of Mongolia. Currently Mongolia is the only new place I really dream of visiting (don’t get me wrong there are million other places I wouldn’t mind going to, just don’t have the same strong desire to see). Sadly it is highly unlikely I’ll be able to make the trip there for the next 3 years or longer. The plan for the next year is to try to go somewhere by EuroStar (since I never been and we think it will be easier than air travel), visit PJs in Berlin and maybe go to German Xmas markets (another travel dream of mine) and try to find time, money and courage to fly to South Africa and Australia.

It took me 2 days to finish watching the movie in 10-20 minutes intervals during sleepier ones of Catherine’s feeds. The stereotype of the housewives with small children spending all their time on the couch in front of TV seems totally ridiculous – there are too many important things (including feeding oneself and getting some sleep) to get done.

Yesterday Doug came to visit in the morning and brought presents, including some clothes from my mum. He also had photos of Melbourne from his recent trip. There are so many new buildings! and it’s being less than 2 years since my last visit. During that visit (after being gone for just over 6 months) it felt like nothing and no one in Melbourne will ever change. Great (but a bit sad) to be proven wrong.

In the evening Debi and Mark came for the roast chicken dinner. By 10pm I felt totally dead, so retired to the bedroom to feed Catherine and get some rest. This gave guys and Clive a chance to reminiscence about Cape Town and chat about their common friends. So both Clive and I ended up having bouts of homesickness by the end of the day. And we will probably experience few more of them during Xmas/New Year as I have few Australians visiting (so more photos and stories of Melbourne) and Clive is missing out on his usual SA Xmas/New Year trip.

No comments: