Saturday 20 September 2008

First machine sewing project

I bought a sewing machine. Actually, according to my Flickr photostream, it happened a month ago; but last weekend I finally started my first sewing (and second embroidery) project and finished it on Thursday.
Even while making this simple coin purse I learned a lot. I guess there is no substitute for learning by doing, but to prevent myself from making too many silly mistakes I will be grateful for any sewing book recommendations. I have two books titled Complete Sewing Course (one mine, one from the library), but the amount of the information in them is overwhelming. I would prefer something that teaches some basic skills in small chunks with lots of projects for each skill set. Our library recently upgraded their computer system and the side benefit was that now they link to the large number of other libraries and I can reserve books from any of them for free to be delivered to my local library. So lately I was able to find almost anything I wanted to read.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, you took the sewing plunge!

Good job on your first project -- and with a zipper too! You just dove right in.

Ruth's Place said...

It's very cute! I love the embroidery.

"Bend the rules sewing" will give you some great projects and easy instructions. I started with that book and it gave me the confidence to move on to sewing clothes...