Sunday 9 September 2007

It is possible

I now worked for two weeks and I’m happy to report that working part-time (20 hrs/week) from home while looking after one 9.5 month child (thankfully a very undemanding one) is possible. On the good days it is actually easy, on the bad days I just have to remind myself that I would feel exhausted at the end of the day even if I wasn’t working.

We had to simplify and even scarifies some things to make this new arrangement easier on us. For example I now have dinner with Cat at 6pm and Clive eats something at work. This way I don’t have to cook something specifically for Cat, which she is likely not to eat anyway, and Clive and I have dinner at a reasonable time, instead of late at night (i.e. after 8 pm) and too close to our bedtime. Clive also gets up earlier in the mornings now, so he has time to do few simple household chores before leaving for work.

There is less time for myself, but there is some (I even managed to read all archives of another blog that I found recently). It is usually in the evenings and I struggle to use this time effectively as I’m definitely a morning person. I’m hoping I’ll be able to adjust to the new load/routine after the few weeks and will be able to find energy for reading, writing, drawing, crocheting.

We certainly are more organized about doing something fun on the weekends during our free weekend time. This Saturday we went to the London Zoo where Cat got to see real-life giraffes (she seem to be surrounded with giraffe toys and pictures at home).

--
I’m struggling to think of a quote for this week as even that requires time. Anyone has any good time quotes?

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I like this one: (it's at the very bottom of my blog)

"This time, like all times, is a good one, if we but know what to do with it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Glad back to work is going well for you. We moms have to learn to multi-task! Right now, I just sat down for a few minutes at my laptop while I'm waiting for dinner to cook. (But I should have been cleaning...I'm also in the midst of a very belated spring cleaning fit in my kitchen and right now I'm in the horrible stage where it looks worse before it looks better. I must finish after the kids go to bed tonight!)

Tanya said...

Great to hear that the transition back to work is going well.