Thursday 16 August 2007

Theory on life

My pet theory on life is that life is like a pointillistic painting: stand too close and all you see are the small dots, take few steps back and the bigger image emerges. Caught up in our everyday life we (or at least I) often forget to slow down, to stop, to stand back and allow ourselves a glimpse of the bigger picture.

Yesterday while trying to explain to my husband how I feel about our current life, I came up with a different image. I feel like I’m lost in a maze – there are constantly some decisions to be made, path to be taken. Should I turn left? Should I turn right? Either could lead me to my goal. Either can result in the dead end.

I feel lost. I’m no longer even sure what the goal is. I would prefer to see my life as a painting, even if all I notice are the points of colour.

Though writing about this helps. Whenever I write something like this down I end up smiling at my own ponderous musings. And I think a brisk walk in the park is also in order. Hope the sun is out and shining wherever you are, like it is here today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear.
This is one area where I feel I can make some worthwhile comment.
I see life as a labyrinth (I love labyrinths) rather than a maze. Full of twists and turns and just when you seem to be getting close to the centre the path leads you way out to the edge of the circle.
But after walking many labyrinths and after a few years of living life by compromises due to family life, I can say this. Just keep walking. the descisions aren't that important. Your labyrinth was designed perfectly and as long as you keep going you will reach your centre eventually.
XXX
P

percival smashmouth said...

I love Pen's comment and feel there's not much more to say. Though I can recommend a fantastic book (which I have on CD, nice to listen to) called "Who moved my cheese". It is a parable, set in a maze and is very comforting, in an "oh yeah" kind of way.

xxx
Em