Sunday 12 August 2007

Let us enjoy life

Last week I stumbled on this quote

The whole life of man is but a point of time; let us enjoy it.
Plutarch


And while I like my life, it is often easy for me to see negatives: the material goods I can’t afford, the countries and cities not visited, the opportunities missed, friends lost or never made. So this week whenever negative or jealous thought passed my mind I would try to stop, look around and take stock of all the good things in my life. We had trouble with our hot water system again and after being unable to take a warm shower for two muggy days I realised how many simple things, like hot water, I take for granted. For me noticing one good thing often leads to noticing something else pleasant and after a bit of perseverance in the positive thinking I can see my life unfolding in front of me in all its beauty and splendour. As usual it is the first step which is hard to make.

1 comment:

Polina said...

I know what you mean - it's so hard to focus on the good things sometimes. Even when there are lots of those. Moligamy - is the key :) may be...