Tuesday 21 August 2007

Cat’s progress

Cat started pointing at things with her index finger. I’m excited about this achievement as it is nicer to have one’s nose touched gently instead of two slimy, sticky hands being squashed into one’s face. During our walks her hands fly around like little butterflies, fingers waving like the conductor’s batons as she chats away in her own funny language still monotone in the variety of sounds, but full of intonations. And you should see the look of pure concentration on her face when I point and name things or when I read her new books and the look of delight when she recognizes the words uttered.

As most kids her age she loves all the variations of the peek-a-boo game. Papa or mama, disappearing and reappearing from behind the couch, make her laugh hysterically. And yesterday she initiated the game herself by hiding behind the couch. Since she still haven’t mastered the art of successful crawling she had to lean/fall behind the couch and then push herself upright and sticks her head out from behind the couch. So much laughter and happiness and pride at being able to do yet another little thing by herself.

She isn’t very happy about being fed from the spoon, but will eat anything she can grab herself (including beetroot!). Which makes it difficult to get her to eat any meat and the other day I had to resort to mixing some chicken into her yogurt as it is the only thing she’ll eat consistently from the spoon. When I was little I refused to eat tomatoes and my parents pretended that they were oranges to get me to eat them (luckily for them they had some orange-coloured tomatoes growing in their garden). So sneaky of them I used to say and now I get to see their side of the feeding game.

At the weekend I realised that Cat can actually crawl: few times she did it successfully while being excited at seeing a toy she wanted, but she doesn’t seem to be able to coordinate her arms and legs once she becomes aware of what she is trying to do.

No comments: