Thursday 26 April 2007

When to praise?

After spending first half of the day outside I was trying to quickly eat my sandwich while Cat was enjoying her latest mission - practicing passing light rattles and teething beads from one hand to another. She is getting really good at that btw. On hearing a noise, which usually means that she dropped the rattle and wants me to get it back for her, I took another bite out of my sandwich and looked down to see an empty space. After a second of total unreality my eyes shifted a bit further and there she was, rolled over from her back onto her stomach, cool as the cucumber, casually playing with the teething beads. All baby books advise parents to praise all of their babies’ achievements, but it would be a bit silly (and probably highly confusing to her) if I started clapping my hands at that point. Wouldn’t it? Hopefully she’ll do few more rolls while I'm actually looking at her. But she seem to have a preference for showing off acquired skills only after getting comfortable with them while she thinks no one is looking.

Happy five month birthday, babe!

1 comment:

S* said...

Happy 5 month birthday Cat!

By the way - your mum made a great buy with those teething beads because we've got the same set and it's still working well 7 months and 8 teeth later.