Sunday 29 April 2007

Brit in the family

Cat’s new shinny microchiped British passport arrived on Friday with a baby picture, which doesn’t even look like her anymore. British Citizen! I never thought that my first child will be a British citizen, born in London right next to the Paddington station. Will she find it amusing that I never even heard of Paddington Bear until the end of 2004?

I’m still occasionally astounded by the fact that I am someone’s mother. My life before Cat seems very distant and my current life doesn’t yet feel like it is fully mine. I wonder when the sense of being magically transported into the middle of someone else’s life will go away? While I’m struggling to recognize it as my own, I marvel at how perfectly this life fits me. Clive and I settled into very peaceful, comfortable and supportive relationship. And Cat helps us to recognise the important things in life and I believe helps us to appreciate each other more. I always thought that I’ll have two sons followed by a daughter until I got pregnant. And when that certainty went away and I knew that I’ll have a daughter. Based on my relationship with my mum, which wasn’t always easy, there are some character qualities; like seriousness, stubbornness and independence of thought; that I dreaded in my future daughter. But in last few years, as our relationship matured and we learned to respect each other as adults, I accepted that my mum was and always will be my biggest and most respected role model. We are very similar and I’m proud (and happy) to be like her. And while people argue about who Cat looks like, I am and will be glad to see glimpses of us all in her. I’m joyful she is here to cement our family bonds by her similarities and to expand our world views by her differences.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Hi Fioleta! I totally hear you on the "astounded by the fact that I am someone's mother." A friend of mine said, regarding her one year old "I'm still wondering when his mother is coming to get him..."

Thanks for coming by and commenting, by the way!