Friday 23 January 2009

Book Meme

Saw this meme at Rachael's:

The rules:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open to page 56.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 2 to 5 sentences, along with these rules.
5. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual book. Pick the CLOSEST!
6. Tag five other people to do the same!

Surprisingly the book next to me wasn't The Little Red Train Storybook or some other kid book from Cat's current favourites. Few minutes previously I picked up Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' autobiography "The Wheel of Life" from one of the many boxes filled with books. Here is the quote from the book, if I follow the rules:

Dr. Braun's fate was as unclear as his whereabouts. Either he was hospitalized for one of his manic episodes or he was in jail. Who knew when we would see him again, and it turned out the answer was never.

I think you'll all agree that this isn't a very exciting quote and doesn't do justice to the book or its incredible author, so I thought I'll post the bit from the end of the book, which I loved:

It is very important that you do only what you love to do. You may be poor, you may go hungry, you may live in a shabby place, but you will totally live. And at the end of your days, you will bless your life because you have done what you came here to do.

2 comments:

Annie said...

My, my..... Actually, I thought that the "playing by the rules" quote was pretty intriguing! But perhaps you don't like it because you knew the depth of the book. I LOVE the quote you chose, and it is right you shared it. "Right" insofar as you seem to be contributing to my ongoing train of thought. Your "Review" post below really got me thinking about how much I love crafts, needlework, painting, etc. - yet I never do any of it anymore.

"Do what you love to do..." More to think about!

Polina said...

I like the last quote. Although to and extent it seems to be a bit individualistic, reflecting our society... very good one to think about though :)))