Saturday 14 July 2007

Pink

I picked up some knitting wool at the local charity shop – totally an impulse buy: it was cheap, I needed something to crochet with, but it was pink. Since I don’t really like pink (except the very pale kind) I stared at the three balls of wool for two weeks wondering what possessed me to buy them in the first place and what I’m going to do with them. And then I added some purple thread, found the fattest hook I have (think it’s 6mm) and using simple treble crossed stitches made myself a scarf. It was great for practicing the turning chain (it finally makes sense after years of crocheting and eventually reading the instructions in TWO books) and keeping the tension even (still not so good at it).

While making it I gradually grew to like the scarf and think it will work well with a simple black coat with a straight collar. Now I just have to find the said simple black coat – this is one of the top reasons why I hate shopping, I decide beforehand exactly what I want and then struggle to find it. But my best ever shopping buddy (hi mum!) is coming to London soon, so I’m looking forward to hitting the shops with her.

Maybe I’ll make myself more scarves as all the ones I have are in various shades of green and blue. Staring at our white walls and neutral IKEA furniture (flats in London mostly come furnished) I realised that I want more colour in my life.

3 comments:

Eug said...

Useless trivia fact: chet can knit! But he's only good with scarves. Apart from that, his resume includes crochet, cross-stitch, long-stitch, etc.

chet (in a confessional mood and hoping he's not going to regret it)

Zoya said...

Thank you for sharing. I'm impressed. Can't actually knit myself.

Polina said...

wow - Eugene can knit! I'm VERY impressed! I've started a jumper for Jack for winter... ummm I still haven't done very much and the winter passed. May be it'll be ready for NEXT winter *sigh* I need sleep and time for myself.