Saturday 10 March 2007

In the supermarket

After Clive came home last night I went to the supermarket on my own. It is such a pleasure shopping without having to push a pram or carrying extra six kilos in the sling (I usually hate shopping). But I end up feeling totally lost - wondering along the aisles, debating if I should by unnecessary things. Shopping with Cat is totally different, it’s brisk and efficient. I grab the things I need and try to get out as fast as possible. Anyway, back to yesterday – I think some man is actually tried to chat me up! In the supermarket! No one ever tried to chat me up in the supermarket before. I was amused, especially after spending half a day debating if I should put more effort in the keeping up my appearance. I have shower ever day and change out of pjs by 7am (while I can survive the lack of sleep, not having a shower makes me feel really irritable), but I very rarely put on make up. Seems a bit pointless, since most of the powder and lipstick just rubs off on Cat’s head (I spend a lot of time kissing her beautiful head and stroking her hair with my hands or my cheeks). And most of my clothes is very practical and not very glamorous. Though I finally started sorting my pre-pregnancy clothes, which I put away when I could no longer fit into them, and rediscovered some very nice things. Now I just have to figure out which ones of them could work well with breastfeeding and slinging. Some bead embroidered tops are out as they leave uncomfortable imprints on my chest and on poor Cat’s face when she is in the sling.

3 comments:

Bea said...

I remember one of the first times I went shopping on my own (sans baby) after Bub was born: the feeling of freedom was giddy (but then there's the flip side: I've now become the kind of person who considers a grocery shopping trip to be a major indulgence).

Thanks so much for your comment - I've been getting some spam on those old posts lately, so it's nice to come across a real comment from a real person. I always figure the "read aloud to husband" is the ultimate compliment - I do that too, but only with posts I really enjoy.

Anonymous said...

HUM. Strange men in the supermarket hmmm? Rhubarb! I wish I could ban the supermarket, but then I'd have to do all the shopping...maybe I can go and pickup strange men too! Whoopee!

Polina said...

Was he any good? I mean the guy in the supermarket... I think this story could make a good title for one of those female pulp fiction romance novels entitled "The Supermarket Affair" :)