Wednesday 26 December 2007

Crafting is contagious

After watching me crochet Cat’s scarf, my mum decided to prove to me that it is faster done by knitting. Since I don’t own any knitting needles she decided to use two of my crochet hooks to knit another scarf for the little girl at the phenomenal speed. Despite not knitting for at least 10 years, she is still brilliant at maintaining tension and reckons that she can knit something more complicated (like a jumper) without needing a pattern (I’m slightly envious of her great knitting skills). But knitting without proper needles makes things unnecessary difficult, so I went to the local charity shop and got few pairs of knitting needles.

Clive and I saw “The Golden Compass” on Sunday – beautiful sets, fantastic special effects, great actors, but somehow the film was missing a bit of the magic of the books – so I found it enjoyable, but not outstanding. However I loved many of the outfits and was wondering throughout the movie of how easy/difficult it would be to knit something similar to the coat and the hat that Lyra was wearing. When I told Clive afterwards that I loved all the knitted clothes, he wasn’t very surprised as he expected me to rave about them (I loved all the elegant clothes Mrs. Coulter was wearing as well). So since I now own knitting needles and am obviously obsessed about knitwear, I decided to learn to knit.

No comments: